Banana bread has always been one of those things I’ve always liked, but never loved. That all changed on my trip to Chicago where my Airbnb host left us some homemade banana bread that literally changed my life. I never thought to add coconut flakes to banana bread until I tried hers and it took me from liking to loving banana bread. Isn’t it crazy how the simplest tweak can change everything?
Obviously, I had to recreate it once I got home and the results were amazing–seriously my friends were raving so it’s not just me…the coconut is magical. Try it yourself if you don’t believe me!
- 2 large ripe bananas (3 bananas if they’re smaller)
- 1/3 cup of melted butter
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Sugar (I opted for 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup if you’re into less sugary sweets
- 3/4 cup if you’d like it in the middle
- 1 cup if you have a major sweet tooth
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans (or your choice of nut)
- 3/4 cup of coconut flakes
- I really like to go overboard on the coconut, but if you’re not as into it do 1/2 cup like the other add ins!)
- Don’t like these add-ins? Put in your own! Just add half a cup of whatever you want
Note:This is by no means a “healthy banana bread;” however, there are plenty of ways for you to make this more healthy. Such as, using whole wheat flour or nut flour; using less sugar or a sweetener (lots of people use honey too); not adding the chocolate chips (rip). The options are endless! You do you, and I’ll live in my sugary bliss.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees– don’t regret your life choices when you’re ready to pop the bread into the oven only to realize you never turned it on.
- Mash your two ripe bananas with a fork
- Melt 1/3 cup of butter in the microwave then mix it into your banana mash
- Beat one egg and add it to the mixture
- Mix in baking soda (1 tsp.), salt (1/4 tsp), sugar (3/4 cup), vanilla extract (1 tsp.) – you can used a hand mixer or just a spatula
- Mix in 1 1/2 cups of flour
- Mix in the chocolate chips, nuts and coconut flakes into the batter. Save a few to sprinkle on top the pan if you so desire
- Prepare a loaf pan and pour your batter into the pan
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool before slicing
Try it out and let me know how yours comes out in the comments or tag me in your Insta post @_moniqueleblanc!